What a difference one week makes. Last Monday I was frantic about my impending ovulation and this Monday I am praying the inseminations we did last week did not work! It’s been a long time since I hopped I was not pregnant…of course if I am, it will be a good thing.

We met with the KD last night. I’ll call him D. we spent the better part of the day at a christening and party (he is the Godfather). It was a lot of fun (despite the fact that I’d only gotten 4 hours of sleep and drove three and a half hours through a snow storm only to get there late—2 minutes before the christening ended). But the party was fun and I caught up with people that I had not seen in 5 and 10 years. It was a lot of fun to see them and to be there to celebrate with our friends.

After the party A. and I went out with D to talk. As we drove there we were both really nervous. We set right in talking and he told us a little bit about how he’d considered donating to a friend several years ago, but that it didn’t work out. We told him our journey so far and why we backed out of our previous KD option. He is very excited and willing to donate. He wants to be involved with any children we’d have, but in a non-threatening way. He loves kids, and is very good with them, but is at a point where he does not want to be a primary full-time (or even part-time) parent. He even indicated he did not necessarily need the child(ren) to know he is the bio dad and that whenever we thought it was right to tell would be fine with him. We don’t see any reason to keep it a secret if he is okay with it being known. I was very clear that we are excited about the idea of using a KD and for him to have a relationship with any children we create, but that he would not be a “dad” and that we will need him to surrender his parental rights in order for A. to adopt the child(ren). He was aware of this and had no problem with it. He further talked about his family and how supportive they’d been when he was going to do this before and that they would lovingly welcome our child into their family to the extent that we are comfortable involving them.

We left it that we are very interested, but before we make any decision we need to see if I am indeed pregnant. I told him we’d be in touch and we planned to get together over the Christmas holiday so A. and I could meet his family. I am left so happy about the prospect of knowing the donor and having him involved, and hopping that I am not pregnant from the last round of inseminations. Five more days and we’ll have a better idea.

I am also excited to take a BREAK from TTC! We probably wouldn’t start with him till late January at the earliest, possibly February. I need an emotional break from charting and stressing. I think it will be really good for me and also will give me a chance to continue to work on lengthening my luteal phase.

For those of you reading that have used a KD—what advice do you have as we begin the process of drawing up the legal paper work and STD testing for him? Or any other advice? Thanks so much!

Advertisements